I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Riding the Desk.....

It's been a slow awakening, but it has come to my attention that one of the problems I need to address is how to overcome my working lifestyle. I sit at a desk for the majority of the day. I work in an office with one full time person, and one part time person. Because of this, our office while bigger than we need for the three of us, is still relatively small, so the distance from office to office is minimal. Surprisingly enough, even after a long day of sitting, when I get home, I'm tired...even more so since I've taken to working out at the end of the day. So after finishing a few chores, I typically do more sitting in front of the TV while I work on my blog or stalk my children on Facebook.


Fifteen Steps to the end Office
 When I began this journey, I believed that just adding in my work-out routines would be enough of a lifestyle change to counteract my sedentary day, and while it was certainly a good start, I've come to realize that I still need to find a way to ease a little more activity into my daily routine. This becomes the challenge. In some offices you could simply just stop picking up the intercom and walk from office to office to increase your activity level. In my office a trip down the hall to discuss an issue takes fifteen steps, and typically involves sitting in a rocking chair on the other end while we discuss the issue at hand. I've even asked myself  if rocking counts? You are using muscles to initiate the motions, after all, but I'm pretty sure if I have to ask the question, it's probably a stretch.

Last week, my co-worker stopped by my office to see if I wanted a Cookie from Subway. It was mid-afternoon and he had the munchies, but we were low on items in the pantries. "Sure", I replied. I also had the munchies and had made healthy choices that day for lunch, so a chocolate chip cookie seemed like a good idea. Ron wasn't gone long, but still a little longer that I expected, and when he returned he mentioned he had walked to the Subway instead of driven because it was such a nice day out. So maybe that becomes one of my motivators, a walk to Subway for an afternoon cookie. It's a fair stride there and back, so it certainly would outweigh the cookie on the fitness value scale.  

The bottom line is as I have started to ponder my new short term goals for next month, I've determined that  one of my goals needs to address riding the desk. I need to choose a goal this time that gets me moving a little more throughout the day, not just during my work-out routine, so I'm accepting suggestions from other Desk Riders....give me some ideas!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angie! The other day I saw a woman working at her desk sitting on one of those big exercise balls. You'd definitely be expending a fair amount of energy balancing while you work... You could try that for 30 minute intervals 2 or 3 times a day. :)

    ReplyDelete