I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Milestones

I did it! I've made it an entire month, and not only have I not given up, but I've met my short term goals! This is a new milestone for me. By the end of today I will have broken 1000 views to my blog, as well...another milestone! I really wasn't sure when I began this if I could stick this out and stay the path, but today it feels like my main goal is much more within reach....I've made it a month, I can keep going.

So month two is upon me which means new short term goals. I've decided to continue keeping it simple this month, since for at least one week of it, I will be on a vacation cruise. You may be thinking, "Take the week off !", but after recalling how difficult it was to get back into my routine after my last long weekend off, I've decided I definitely need to continue my fitness routine aboard the boat. I don't want to sink my own ship while on the ship. The good news is, our boat has a gym, fitness classes and an onboard track, so I should have all sorts of options to choose from while on board. The trick is going to be motivating myself to pull away from the fun for an hour or so of not so much fun.


So I need to set goals that are reachable in a vacation environment, but still challenge me. I had originally thought I would just increase my weekly goal from four to five days of physical activity each week, since this is part of my long term goal, but if I am honest I know it will take an enormous amount of self- motivation to get me to the gym at all vacation week, much less five out of seven days, so I ruled this goal out for another month. Next I thought perhaps I should set a goal addressing increasing the amounts of weight I am lifting as a second choice, but as I thought this one through, I came to the decision that my body needs to set that pace, not my blog. At that point in my thought process I realized I was doing far better at overreaching in my goals than setting reasonable ones, so I continued batting ideas around in my head until I finally came up with some that I believe will still challenge me, but not harpoon me in the process.


March's goals: Add an additional mile to my tread mill routine, Increase my daily liquid intake by two bottles of water a day, take a brisk walk around my office building three times a day or substitute with another ten minute physical activity on days weather does not permit, continue with February's short term goals.

2 comments:

  1. Angie, I just wanted to tell you that I've been reading your blog every week, and am so excited for you that you are getting healthy! We've been slowly making our way back to healthy, after a long and stressful year last year. Your blog is an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right there with you, Girlfriend. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete