I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Friday, February 11, 2011

The Meat Market

Wednesday night I hit the gym around 5:00 pm. It was actually fairly busy. The previous Weekdays I had been there so far it had not been as busy. There were usually only two to three folks on the aerobic machines, maybe one or two people on the weight machines and maybe another person or two in the free weight section. This is one of the things that attracted me to this particular gym, as well as the proximity, which is within five miles of both my home and work.

Typically I start my work-out on the treadmill. It is easy to tune everyone out while doing this, because there is literally a small TV attached to every machine. I just plug in my ear phones, tune it to an interesting show and put blinders on to everyone else around me. After my jaunt, I typically head to the weight section. Last week I had only attempted the weight machines, because they were easy to figure out. However,  Saturday, my husband joined me for my work-out and showed me some simple free weight exercises I could try. I particularly liked his routine, because it felt like I was working my muscles harder than on the weight machines, but it was also designed to complete in a short period of time, and I thought that would work very well with my schedule .

So Wednesday night was the first rotation in my work-out schedule where I got to try the exercises he showed me again by myself. I headed over to the free weight section to begin my routine, and suddenly I felt several pairs of eyes upon me. There were actually several men working out in that area, but no women. I immediately felt self-conscious. I even hesitated for a moment and thought, maybe I should just head back over to the weight machines. They were lined up against the wall, and it was a little easier to feel invisible over there. There was no one on them, I could just take a right turn and fall back into anonymity.

Then I thought, how did I not notice this on Saturday? There were several men in the free weight area that day as well. I don't recall feeling self conscious at this point, but it struck me, I could hide behind Chuck on Saturday. He was my shield to any sideways looks. So I was facing a new crossroads, should I continue on with the work-out I had already decided upon, or should I let the sideways glances deter me?  Ultimately I think it may have been the thought of explaining walking away from the situation in my blog that motivated me, but I swallowed my fear, put my personal items down, reached up and took hold of the Tricep Pulley and began my first exercise.

By the time I finished the routine, I had not quite managed to tune everyone else out, but I had managed to lessen the degree to which I felt self conscious, so as I drove home I pondered the issue. Was this a woman thing... was I self-conscious to work-out in front of men? Was this a beginner thing... was I intimidated by working out in front of stronger and more seasoned athletes? Was this a meat market thing... was I self-conscious that I was perhaps being checked out? The only answer I could come up with was...all of the above.

I knew there were other women like me who felt self-conscious in a gym full of men, but I thought of the  many women athletes I know who competed shoulder to shoulder daily in a men's arena and enjoyed it. I wondered if they felt the way I did when they started? I understood that beginners are more likely to feel intimidated surrounded by a group of long-time athletes, so I reminded myself everyone has to start somewhere. I also recognized that every gym has a few folks checking out the scenery, but truthfully, my gym was not nearly the meat market that some gyms are, so I ultimately knew I had chosen well. Hopefully by understanding my feelings, I could begin to conquer them.

The bottom line is I am really glad I didn't let my momentary insecurities take hold of me and stayed the path that day, but I recognize it will probably still be a challenge for me in similar situations for a little while longer. Hopefully with time and experience, I will reach a point where I have enough self confidence that I can tune out those other distractions and just enjoy what  I am doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment