I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

It's about the Moments

The AA mantra is "Take one day at a time." I've come to the conclusion with fitness, it should be, "Take one moment at a time." I'm mid-way through week four of my journey, and I think I can honestly say that this is the longest I've consistently maintained a fitness routine in my adult life. I've toyed with running off and on for years, but would only manage to work a run in two or three days a week for a week or two, and then stop for several weeks or months before starting again. It was pretty much the same when I tried Jazzercise, Step Classes and joined the Gold's Gym in Fayetteville. Something has always gotten in the way...mainly myself.

As I look back over my blogs and think back over the last several weeks, I can't help but ask myself what am I doing different this time? How have I managed to alter my pattern? I realize the answer is two-fold: I grew my village, and I learned to conquer the moments. Tying my blog to my journey was the pivotal moment. It tied the fun factor in I needed to keep myself motivated and provided a well spring of support that I had lacked in previous efforts. I haven't written in years, and I'm finding the writing is as therapeutic, as the exercise and improved eating habits, and every time I have received a comment in response to my entries either on my Facebook page, blog remarks, e-mail or in passing, it has provided the fuel for my continued efforts.

Secondly, each time I have encountered a roadblock or challenge that might have previously deterred me, I've tried to make a small change in my behavior, and those changes have helped me stay the course. You have only to read my past blogs to see the stand-out moments, but the reality is there have been many times that I have felt the urge to  cut short my work-out, but pushed past it and continued on. There have been plenty of days I was tempted to skip, but stopped myself from giving in to old patterns. Each time I walked by the unhealthy choice for the healthy one, I conquered a moment. And each time I forgave myself for not making the right choice, but acknowledged that I would choose better the next time, I conquered another one.

I have a long way to go and a multitude of moments ahead of me before I can truly claim success, but looking back even this short distance, I feel like I've already come a very long way. Thank you for helping me get this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment