I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mind, Body and Soul....

Park Lake Presbyterian,  My first Church home
My husband and I met while I was in high school and he was in college. He was one of the chaperones for a Church Youth Group trip that I went on to the Bahamas. Church and youth group were an important part of my life in high school. After I was married and began moving around with the military, we made it a point to try and find a church home in the various duty stations that we were assigned to. Some places we were successful, and other places, not as successful. When we moved to Washington DC, we were not so successful. I was very ill, so we didn't begin a quest to find a church until sometime after moving here, and once we set out on the task, we didn't seem to find that special connection that kept us going with any regularity.

Truth be told, I have never believed that the only way to God was through Church. Don't get me wrong, I have a strong faith. There is not a decision I make that I don't seek guidance through prayer, there is not a blessing I receive that I don't thank the lord, and there is not a problem I encounter, that I don't ultimately put in God's hands. I just simply believe that my relationship with God is not about the number of times I attend church, but about the relationship I build with him through prayer, introspection and the Bible. If I am honest with myself though, I haven't been tending that relationship as well as I can lately, and one thing a church can do, if it is the right one, is enhance the relationship you have with God, help you with your introspection and clarify the murky areas. I've been missing that piece in my life lately.

Writing in my blog has certainly made me much more introspective and I believe my quest calls me to focus on mind, body and soul.  So this past Sunday my husband and I set out on our search again for our church home. It will be a quest within a quest, but to live fit, I think I need to be healthier in all parts of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment