I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Monday, April 25, 2011

"Strolling" with my Nephew...

Today turned out to be rather long. It was divided between work, doctor's appointments, packing up my daughter's dorm room and helping my Mom move out of her office. The packing/moving probably more than qualified as a stand-in for my daily work-out, but I still felt the calling to go for a brisk walk after dinner. I was tired, but knew that a walk would be just what I needed to insure a good night's sleep. Just as I was heading up to throw on my work-out clothes, however, my mother expressed concern that I would be walking by myself after dark.

I wasn't particularly concerned about the idea, but when my noble 6 foot nephew ever so kindly offered to join me, I took him up on his offer.  I didn't really believe I needed the protection, but since I rarely get the chance to spend quality time alone with him, this seemed the perfect opportunity and it would allay any fears my Mother had. I told Brandon to be ready in ten, and I quickly ran upstairs, threw on my work-out clothes and headed down to meet him. 

When I reached the bottom of the stairs, Brandon was waiting for me still in his jeans and flip flops. I pondered his choice of clothing for a moment or two, but ultimately decided he was nineteen years old and capable of making his own choices in work-out clothing. It was a beautiful evening, still a bit warm, but a slight breeze in the air. I set out down the now familiar path, and thanked Brandon for joining me. I knew he was supposed to be meeting friends, and my walk was delaying his departure. Since I knew he had places to go, I told him we would just go for a short three mile walk instead of the four mile route I had been favoring of late. If he was surprised by my comments he hid it well, and we set off down the path at a brisk pace.

We chatted along the way about a multitude of things, and at some point he acknowledged that he had probably chosen the wrong outfit for our excursion. I laughed a little, and pointed out that I knew he probably didn't realize when he offered to join me that I walked that far or at that pace. I was pretty sure he probably assumed we'd just be going for a stroll. 

As we walked along, I thought to myself that I had come along way from a woman who sauntered from place to place to one who had surprised her nineteen year old nephew by the pace she kept. And while the thought pleased me, it was ultimately the conversation and camaraderie we shared on that walk, however, that made my day. Taking time for myself was rewarding, taking time with my nephew was priceless. 




No comments:

Post a Comment