I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Glazed Donuts...

Heidi
Yesterday morning I received a call from one of my oldest friends. We met each other in middle school and have remained friends ever since. The beauty of our friendship is we place no demands on each other. We'll talk every day for several weeks and then not again for several months, but we both know that no matter how long a span of time passes between conversations or visits, we are only a text away.

 We've been talking pretty regularly these past few weeks. I've been been doing most of the talking and she most of the listening, but this morning was a little different. After I updated her on what was going on with me, she shared some of the difficulties she has been dealing with this past week. It felt good to be on the listening side this time. As the conversation wound down, she told me she had one more thing to share. The real reason she had picked up the phone and called me was that she had been driving back to her house after a frustrating morning when she saw the Krispy Kreme store looming in the foreground with warm glazed donuts beckoning her. So instead of giving up to the urge to pull over, she decided to call me instead. Heidi has been one of my regular village supporters, and this time she was turning to me to return the favor. I laughed, as I recounted my unsuccessful adventures with food this week. I told her I had not been nearly as strong as she, so I was doubly impressed with her creative strategy.

As I hung up the phone with a smile still on my face, I thought to myself how a simple conversation with a friend can calm both the mind and the body  and was a far better prescription than glazed donuts or peanut butter eggs. So as a thank you to my dear friend, and hopefully to help in a small way, I wanted to share her link to her fundraising sight for Libby's Legacy and their Hooter's for Skooter's Ride on April 16 in Orlando Florida. I have written about Libby's Legacy and all they are doing to help fight Breast Cancer in my previous posting entitled "Remembering a Friend". Please help Heidi reach her goal and support a worthy cause in the process.  http://www.scooters4hooters.com/fundraising.php?id=134

1 comment:

  1. thanks chica for adding the link above! every dollar raised goes to free mammograms and more for unisured women in central florida.

    but most esp, thanks for being a life-long friend (and comrade in working to be our best selves!). glad i called you instead of eating the glazed donut- talking w/ you was MUCH more satisfying!! love hb

    ReplyDelete