I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Giving up the "Crack".....

No, I don't do drugs, but Yes, I do candy, and it has come to my attention that one candy in particular seems to be my "Crack". For all of you followers, I'm sure you already have the answer figured out, but for those of you new to my blog, the simple truth is I'm addicted to Reese's Peanut Butter Cups...particularly the ones that come in shapes, Peanut Butter Hearts, Eggs, Trees and Pumpkins. After my recent trip to overindulgence lane when I was sick, it has become evident that I have a problem that needs addressing.

Two of my friends suggested I do away with the candy bowl. That was sage advice and probably would be the smartest choice in dealing with my problem, but the reality is too many other people have become dependent on that candy bowl. It serves as breakfast for Charlie's boyfriend and as Chuck's evening treat. It is part of the homecoming ritual for my youngest daughter and her friend's from college. They congregate around the kitchen bar while I prepare some feast, tell stories and nibble on candy. I'm not sure how they would react should they come home to an empty candy bowl.




Truth be told, the only real problem I have with the candy bowl is when it is filled with Reese's Peanut Butter cups. Currently we only have it filled with miniature Hershey's bars, Krackle bars and Butterfingers, and I'm not having any difficulty controlling my nibble factor, but when the bowl is topped with some peanut butter confection, it acts as my gateway drug to all the other sweets throughout the home. And while the affects to my figure concern me slightly,  more importantly I realize when I eat eight cups in one day (even if they were the miniature sized eggs), I am clearly reducing my healthy input. My stomach can only hold so much, so while I many not have technically replaced a meal, I  clearly replaced a healthy snack or two.

So my solution to my dilemma is to give up the "Crack", and only allow myself a taste of it on those occasions where I can't go back for seconds. No more Reese's Peanut Butter eggs in the home, no more hearts in the car or pumpkins in the office. Since it seems to be the one sweet I can't just eat one if, it has to go. Wish me luck, this should interesting.

3 comments:

  1. A healthy alternative?!
    CHOCOLATE & PB OATMEAL NO-BAKE COOKIES
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup cocoa
    1 stick butter
    1/2 cup milk
    1 tsp. vanilla
    3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    Combine sugar, cocoa, butter and milk in a saucepan. On medium heat, bring to a boil for one full minute.
    Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter (optional), vanilla and oatmeal.

    Drop by spoonful onto wax paper. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one day at a time!
    or one moment at a time....
    you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete