I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Slothfulness...

As I lay in my bed listening to the latest episode of "Army Wives" while thinking back on my weekend, the word that keeps popping into my head is "slothfulness". It has been a weekend of poor food choices, skipped work-outs and a general lack of focus, but for some reason I am not carrying my usual rucksack of guilt. Instead I have reached a point where I know that a weekend off is not a gateway to failure for me anymore.

I started the downward spiral when I allowed myself to get distracted from my plan to hit the gym first thing Saturday morning. Instead I took a road trip to the nearby Shenandoah Mountains with my husband. We ended up winding our way from one side of the mountain to the other making stops along the way to explore our  favorite local Farmer's Market, stroll up and down the Main Street of Berryville, and nose our way through a Flea Market in Aldie.  We listened to Bluegrass music, ate barbecue sandwiches topped with coleslaw and munched on the Tagalong Girl Scouts cookies we bought off the street. An hour turned into five hours and before we knew it a trip to the gym was out for the day.

Sunday morning was also paved with good intentions. Instead of hitting the gym, we decided to try something different and planned to get our exercise in for the day with a round of afternoon golf. I had taken up the game the summer before last and had quickly become hooked. I had not been on a course since before my surgery and was anxious to see if I would pick up where I had left off. I spent the morning weeding through paperwork while I watched movies with the girls, but as it got closer to our tee time, the clouds started gathering. Finally the skies opened up, and our golf game was rained out along with my motivation. Instead of working out, we decided to catch the afternoon showing of the new "Pirate of the Caribbean" movie complete with my favorite movie snacks...Junior Mints and Popcorn.  

Despite my lack of commitment, I had a great weekend! It was full of laughter and fun. Tomorrow I will start my day with a Yogurt Parfait and find my way back to the gym, but for tonight I'm playing the sloth a little while longer and enjoying a quiet evening laying in bed, drinking some tea and blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment