I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Sauna

I should have realized when my glasses fogged up after entering my hot car to head home from work, it was probably a better day to stay inside for my workout, but the lure of the sunshine beckoned me. It had been overcast and rainy for too many days; the side streets were calling my name.

I decided to stay in my own neighborhood for my walk. It was a little hillier than Montclair, and from time to time it was nice to add in a different level of difficulty. The first twenty minutes were pretty glorious. The skies shined blue, the lawns were a lush green from all the rain of late, and there were colorful blossoms decorating the fronts of my neighbor's homes. People were out and about working in their yards, walking their dogs or simply rocking on their porches enjoying the evening.

I wound my way back and forth along the neighborhood streets at a brisk pace enjoying my surroundings. It was definitely the hottest day we had seen in a long time, and the further I walked, the more I noticed the thickness in the air. As I continued down the road, it became more and more of a challenge to breathe. By the end of the second mile, it was beginning to remind me of the sauna from my cruise which was not a good thing.

To make matters worse, despite the moisture in the air, I was bone dry. I had not hydrated nearly enough for this hot day. My throat was parched and my fingers were swelling in an effort to retain some fluids. This was definitely proving to be a more challenging walk than I had anticipated, and I was kicking myself for not drinking more before heading out on such a hot day.

I turned back in the direction of my home wishing I had a bottle of water with me and chiding myself for yet another novice mistake. The good news was I was in a neighborhood full of friends if I needed to stop somewhere along the way; the bad news was my plan to end my walk at the neighborhood grocery store would need to be readjusted. It would be a bridge too far on this hot day.

As I headed back home, I thought to myself I still have so much to learn. Eventually I know the beginner's mistakes will be behind me, this will all seem routine and I'll be able to say I'm the "Healthy Girl".  Perhaps then I'll be able to look back through my blogs and write a "How to Get Healthy for Dummies Guide"complete with a "What Not to Do!" section. Let's face it, I probably could use one!

No comments:

Post a Comment