I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

My New Friend....

My hoop finally arrived in the mail yesterday after a long week of waiting, and to my relief, I was still able to make it work! I played with it for about thirty minutes just trying to master the basic moves. By the end of the thirty minute period, however, it was obvious I was getting tired as it became more and more challenging to keep the hoop above my waist. I packed it away to bring to the office in the morning. I had ultimately decided that I would get the most out of it by using it for daily breaks. It was new and exciting now, but I wasn't sure over the long hall if it would retain my interest enough to manage the longer cardio work-outs. Only time would tell, if I became a hoopaholic or just a hoop enthusiast.


Wall

I woke this morning to a rainy day and knew it would be the perfect day to try out my hoop for one of my work fitness breaks. So hoop in hand, I headed to the office. When the time came, I surveyed my space to determine the best area to proceed. If I moved my chair, I thought I could manage the hoop pretty easily, so I adjusted the furniture and stepped into the hoop. It didn't even make a full revolution before I heard a thud, and the hoop dropped to the ground. To my dismay I looked behind me to see where it had swiped the wall and left a streak of pink from the ribbon! Uh Oh! Hmmm...this wasn't working quite the way I had had imagined, and to add insult to injury, I might have just created a paint job for myself in the process. Time to move!

My next location proved to be a better space for my adventure, and I was able to get past the first revolution without damaging anything in the process. It only took a few minutes for me to realize that I was going to have to break my body in for hooping or add a little padding to my clothing. I already had a slightly bruised abdomen from the previous day's efforts which was tender to the touch. Every time the hoop swung back around, I would feel the impact a little more than the first time. This incentivized me to try to move the hoop up an down my frame to varying positions to avoid the tender spots, but it also made it a little more challenging to keep the hoop aloft. In the end I knew that the short breaks were going to be the best way to ease into the sport. I also made a mental note that I should watch the video that was sent with the hoop as I was guessing it might provide some helpful tips...ie, "Don't hoop for thirty minutes the first time out!"

I cleaned the wall and hung my hoop on  the back of the door. I would do something different for my next fitness break of the day, but despite the initial bruises I knew I'd be taking my hoop back down tomorrow. She was my new friend and like any new friend, I just needed to start in small doses and get through the "get to know you" stage.

On a separate note, I just added my Blog to Networked Blogs, an application that allows people to follow me through facebook. I've had several folks who have been unable to follow me through google followers, so I thought I would set this up as an alternative. Just click on the Follow Button under the Networked Blog Icon on the upper right side of this page to follow me through facebook. Thanks for the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment