I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Learning to take time for myself....


So it is May 5th, and I have not managed to set my goals for the month. The truth of the matter is I did not achieve April's goals. I was feeling a little discouraged and a little ashamed. The thought of having to admit this to my supportive village has been weighing on me. But I woke up this morning and decided to cut myself a break. I didn't quit. In my past life, the last month would have been a derailment that lasted for months or longer, and while it did derail my short term goals, I still kept sight of my long term goal. I kept up a fairly regular routine of engaging in some form of physical activity, I just didn't make my five work-outs every week. When I arrived in Florida only to realize I had left my running shoes at home, I actually went out and bought new ones instead of grabbing hold of an easy excuse for not working out, and I didn't completely let go of my healthier eating habits though I did slide backwards a bit.

Despite the fact I didn't quit, I have to acknowledge the fact that I did loose focus.  In February and March, as I struggled through so many firsts, I found that my writing and efforts fed off each other. I was constantly looking at my world through a new set of glasses. From my work-outs to my work-day, I was re-examining my life and committing to finding ways to improve on the status quo. In this past month, however, I've been focusing outside of myself, so much of the introspection that had been driving me was put on hold.

This month I need to find a way to both fuel my introspection and reinvigorate my quest while still dealing with some of the personal issues that have caused me to look elsewhere. The truth of the matter is there will always be points in my life that will require a shift in focus. In the past, when these have occurred, I've allowed my other roles to take priority... Mom, Wife, Working Woman. If I didn't have time to work-out, I told myself it was because "I was too busy fulfilling all of my roles" or "I was too tired from fulfilling all of my roles." My challenge if I want to change the old patterns is finding away to be a little selfish, so I can stay true to my journey and find the time and energy I need to keep going in spite of the hurdles in front of me. I'm still busy and still tired, but I'm committed to learning to make time for myself this go round. 

Today's healthier lunch choice!


May's goals........Work-out four times a week, Re-focus my eating habits on healthier selections, write more.

1 comment:

  1. aMEN, Angie! So proud of you for your efforts in all your roles, and for continuing to (try to figure out how to) keep you as a priority also. My friend Angela always struggles withand reminds me of the airline adage- secure your own oxygen mask before helping others.

    ReplyDelete