I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Friday, July 29, 2011

What is the right "right answer" ?

So it's been a week since I posted last. The good news is things have been going great. For once my lack of postings is not reflective of a lapse in effort, a loss of focus or increased stress levels. Truthfully, I think the opposite holds true this time. I've had a great week of work outs, an awesome weekend with my daughters, and many fun empty nesting moments with my husband in between visitors. For once, my lack of voice is not from trying to hold things in, but instead a by-product of  contentment mixed with distraction, but this time, distraction in the form of fun.

If I've struggled at all this week, it has been trying to stay on track making healthier eating choices. My physical fitness routine has been fairly consistent, but making the healthiest eating choices has been a one day at a time kind of struggle or perhaps it has been a one meal at a time kind of struggle. Part of the issue is that over the past few weeks my stomach has decided to take a slight turn to the south, so not everything is agreeing with it in the same way. What I have realized is that when my choices are more limited, I tend to seek comfort foods, and typically those don't fall into the healthiest categories. The other part of the issue is I had slid back into a not so great routine of allowing myself to get caught up in my morning and skipping breakfast. It really is true what they say, skipping the morning meal definitely contributes to a downhill slide throughout the day.

So a few days ago, as I was heading to work yet again without having managed to fit in breakfast, I had an "aha" moment and decided I needed to break the pattern.  Instead of continuing on to the office and foregoing the meal as I had been doing, I headed to the 7-11 and searched for something to start the day with. I had read several articles recently that all reiterated how important it was to start your day with a healthy does of protein, so instead of going for the chocolate covered Krispy Kreme donut, I picked up a protein bar. The surprising thing was that I only had one protein bar, but when my co -worker asked about lunch a few hours later, I realized I wasn't the one watching the clock waiting to dash out the door for the nearest restaurant. This was certainly atypical. The remainder of the day went very well, and I even found I wasn't tempted by the candy bowl.

I don't know that I'll manage to eat protein bars every day...can't say they are my favorite snack, but I do know that I'll be putting an emphasis on good proteins in the morning going forward. This certainly was a visible demonstration of having read something that really worked. The truth is there is so much conflicting information out there, it is often hard to know what is the right "right answer", so there is a tendency to view all of the information with some skepticism. So I guess moving forward I'll be doing a lot of  trial and error tests. What works? What doesn't? Because there is truly nothing that proves a point better than trying it for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. I have a fridge full of peanut butter and chocolate 20 gram pure protein bars for grab and go days. Mmm..didn't I blog about them in the past? ; )

    ReplyDelete