I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Getting Older....The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

So last night as I tossed and turned and tossed and turned, it occurred to me that one of the unpleasant things about growing older that doesn't seemed to be rectified by working out is the aches and pains of laying in one position for too long. When I was younger, I could close my eyes, fall asleep right away and wake up in the same position 8 hours later none for the wear. Now I am lucky if I make it three hours before I'm woken by a stiff neck or back, discomfort in my shoulders or knees or cramps in my feet. Intersperse that with random hot flashes, it's really quite amazing that I manage to get any sleep at all.

Fortunately I've learned the fine art of switching sides with one pillow lodged between my knees, while at the same time flipping my head pillow ever so quickly to provide an immediate cooing sensation from the head down. If the movement goes smoothly without getting tangled in my husband's sprawled arms or legs, I can usually settle back to sleep fairly quickly.

Of course the other disconcerting problem that arises as a result of lack of sleep are the big bags and dark circles under the eyes that accompany it. If you think about it, it's a double whammy. Our skin is slowly losing it's elasticity, gravity is working against our body, and we get the added pleasure of trying to combat the ill effects of a restless night's sleep.

But despite the aches and pains, the lack of sleep, gravity taking it's toll and my thermostat no longer working, I have to admit, I wouldn't want to turn back time. If I could combine a twenty year old body with my forty year old experiences it would be the perfect blend, but since that isn't an option, I frankly choose the woman I am today over the woman I was at 20. I know more, I love myself more, and I have a balance in my life that few twenty year olds manage to achieve. Who knows, in ten years I may feel differently, but as I look ahead to my next birthday in the fall, I'm not dreading the date, simply wondering what other great adventures life has to offer between now and then.

1 comment:

  1. i hear ya! i woke up w/ a crease on my left eye lid that lasted for a few hours. UGH! loss of elasticity is right. but i am with you... i woudn't trade my age or experiences-- MUCH happier at *almost 47* than i was at 27!

    ReplyDelete