I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Friday, July 8, 2011

The Teacher's Pet....

I've managed to work out three times with my husband this week which was a pleasant surprise. Typically his work/travel schedule precludes too many opportunities for joint work-out sessions, but with co-workers and clients vacationing, his schedule has been a little more flexible of late. The nice thing about working out with him is the work-out always seems to go by faster, because I'm entertained. The tough thing about working out with him is we are at very different fitness levels, so I typically feel like I'm holding him back.

He, more than anyone, has taken on the role of my trainer for this journey, wisely letting me set my own path, yet still pushing me when he thought I needed a nudge. So it came as a bit of surprise this week when I actually managed to outlast him for the first time in one of our exercise routines, and of all activities, I managed to outlast him while doing Ab crunches. It was a very small victory in the realm of things, but for a girl who struggled to complete four sets of twenty crunches when she first started this journey, it still made me feel like I had accomplished something very significant.

Truth be told, I'm sure if we went head to head in a competition, he would clearly out crunch me. He would will his way through the exercises, but on this day he was already worn out from a five mile run just prior to our work-out, so he wasn't pushing as hard as he normally would. Even so his surprised reaction at my increased abilities, and the pause he had to take while I kept going was enough to fuel my future efforts. I guess the truth is every student wants to impress their teacher no matter what age they reach. I know I'll always be this"Teacher's Pet", but it's always rewarding to feel I've exceeded expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment