I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

An Early Morning

My husband was a little noisier than usual this morning when he left the house around 530 AM. It was just enough extra activity to roust me from my slumber, and I laid in bed thinking to myself it was way too early to get moving. If I closed my eyes, I should have a least another hour of sleep ahead of me. I tried to doze off again, but just as I was about to drift away, I had a flash. Chuck and I had made plans to meet friends for dinner downtown. There would be no time to fit in a work-out after work. I actually needed to get up and get moving if I wanted to fit one in today.

I continued laying there as I struggled with the inner debate...sleep a little longer...stick to my goals...sleep a little longer...stick to my goals. I peeled back the blankets and sat up. There really was no going back to sleep at this point anyway, my guilt would see to that! I slowly got up, pulled on my work-out clothes and headed out the door to my car. It was going to be a gym day.

I drove into the parking lot and looked around. There were a few cars over by the bloom, but not a single one in front of the gym. I had never been to the gym this early before, so I hadn't known what to expect. Apparently there were plenty of people like me who avoided work-outs first thing in the morning. When I entered the gym, it was completely empty and I was the only one there.

I have to admit, while I had often thought I would enjoy the freedom of working out in a  gym without any eyes surveying my progress, a completely empty gym was slightly unnerving. What happened if I suddenly keeled over from a heart attack or perhaps pulled a klutzy moment, fell off the treadmill and broke my leg? Farfetched perhaps, but still....I put my things away and headed to the treadmill. Just as I was hopping on, I heard the sound of the door opening and another patron entering. God must have been a little concerned too.

It turned out that I was just ahead of the morning crowd. By the time I finished my morning run, the gym was bustling with activity and any unease had given way to a sense of accomplishment for not only making it to the gym that morning, but managing to run yet a little farther than the time before. Turned out working out early in the morning wasn't so bad even though I didn't honestly think I would be making it a habit!

No comments:

Post a Comment