I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Temples, 7-11s and Liquor stores...

"Sunday through Friday, my body is a temple, but Friday through Sunday it's a 7-11 and Liquor Store." This is my husband's somewhat unique approach to maintaining physical fitness, and for the last thirty years or so it has worked remarkably well for him. The military initially trained him to work out regularly, but his own drive took that training to the next level. Throughout his career as an active duty military officer, he maxed his PT tests, ran an average of 6 miles a day and pumped iron during lunches. Even now after he has retired from active duty and PT is no longer a requirement of the job, he still leaves the house each weekday morning at 5:30 am, so he can hit the gym before his day begins. When he travels, he picks his hotels on the basis of their work-out rooms, and because his damaged feet and knees can't tolerate running 5 days a week any longer, he has replaced running two days a week with spin classes lead by a 20 something instructor who kick his ###.  However, Friday nights roll around, and he forgoes workouts for football, water for beer, and Salads for double-cheeseburgers from McDonald's. If you met my husband on a weekend, you would probably not have any idea that he was something of a fitness nut, unless you caught a glimpse of his biceps under his shirt sleeves.

I, on the other hand, have spent much of my adult life living as a "Junk Food Junkie" seven days a week. French Fries, Cokes, and Little Debbie Swiss Cakes have been a main staple of my diet for as long as I can recall, and as I have already noted, my work-out routine has been anything but consistent. So as I ponder the choices ahead, I find myself considering the value in my husband's somewhat unique philosophy.

One of the most difficult choices in this process has been deciding on the approach to use in changing my eating habits. I've been doing the research on healthier eating habits, and find myself overwhelmed by the amount of contradictory information out there. Every fitness guru seems to have a different approach. Atkins vs Low Fat, Veganism vs Vegetarian,  Old Food Pyramid vs New Food Pyramid. Whom does one choose to believe? What will work best for me and my lifestyle, and what will work best based on the health challenges I still have to deal with on a daily basis? All of the philosophies seem sound and all can illustrate concrete examples of success, but which one is right for me?

So in reading their stories, I have come to the conclusion the key to success with any approach is selecting the routine that best  fits your lifestyle, addresses your specific health concerns and works toward your desired long term goal. A diabetic seeking to control his sugar better is definitely going to find a higher rate of success utilizing a low carb lifestyle. A food critic whose goal is to loose weight might fair better on a weight watcher's approach that still allows for a variety of choices while he is working but emphasizes portion control.  I know that adopting a Vegan lifestyle would result in quick failure on my part. Not only do I crave red meat because I lean to the anemic side, I have to avoid foods high in fiber, so I would quickly tire of having to find creative solutions for replacing iron, protein and calcium while still ensuring I don't take in too much fiber. Atkins would be another fail, as pasta and baked potatoes are mainstays during those periods when I have to restrict myself to a softer diet, because of my GI concerns.

So after much inner debate, I've decided to start with the recommendations of the new Food Pyramid put into practice utilizing a modified version of my husband's principle. I don't plan on limiting myself to thinking of my body as a temple Monday through Friday only, but I still plan on enjoying a few 7-11 moments throughout the week... Strawberry Shortcake from JoJo's, my infamous Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and the occasional mixed drink. The good news is if after a period of time, I don't see the change I am looking for with this approach, there are still plenty more to choose from! But for the near term, My Body is a temple, but occasionally it is a 7-11 and Liquor Store too!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! That has been my approach this year - so far 11 lbs gone! Hope to see you guys soon. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I succumbed to the siren-song of the 7-11 yesterday- had a glazed donut w/ my decaf coffee for breakfast. good news-- it's the first glazed donut of 2011.... probably the last for long time. I had the craving for it on tues a.m.- but thinking of your blog and efforts made me choose an apple and peanut butter that day instead. :-)

    ReplyDelete