I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Blahs...Should I Stay or Should I go?

 Yesterday marked a week since I began this journey, and oddly enough I woke up with the Blahs. There really hasn't been a day since this started that I have had to push myself to keep going. I've been motivated every day either by my excitement to write a new entry, the thrill of meeting a new goal or the inspirational comments posted from so many friends. But yesterday morning was different. I awoke to both a cold and irritable stomach, and with very little thought rolled over, reset my alarm and decided that I would push back my work-out until after work, so I could sleep a tiny bit longer.
The Blahs...Should I stay or Should I go?

In my previous life, that would have been code for "Not going to happen today!" I would have nursed my cold and convinced myself that the gym could wait until tomorrow or the next day, or whenever I felt better, but I had made this new, very pubic commitment. So I spent much of the day fighting an inner battle, to work-out or not to work-out. After all there were still six more days left in the week in which to meet my short term goal of working out at least four times a week for the next month. I could take the day off if I wanted to. 

But this tiny thing, my blog, kept whispering in my ear. "You have to work out today! What if you feel worse tomorrow? You'll have wasted a perfectly good work out day, and you'll be letting yourself down, ... Push yourself!" So at 5 o-clock, after much wavering, I made the decision to go and headed to the gym. I didn't walk as fast, but I walked as far. I cut out one repetition of weights, but made it through all my exercises and I finished my Ab work while silently noting to myself that my Ab muscles have a long, long way to go. When all was said and done, I realized that while my cold didn't feel any better and my stomach was still a a bit awry, my blahs had actually lifted. I felt like I had crossed an important threshold by pushing myself to make it through that work-out; I was breaking old patterns and that felt really good.
Yeah...I did it!

So thank you to everyone who has been leaving comments for me on my blog or Facebook, or simply  taking the time to tell me in passing that you have enjoyed my blog. Your encouragement is the fuel that got me to the gym yesterday!!!




2 comments:

  1. YOU are making a difference in my life too! Inspiring me, making me evaluate choices. Today I came home utterly tired and almost teary w/ stress-- but I reflected that I am blessed by what is stressing me- having to move my office is a choice- I am LUCKY to have a job! Having to take care of the dog tonight by myself (make his food, walk him) means I am LUCKY to have this dog I dearly love! I can buck-up and replace griping w/ gratitude-- and I did, and felt better. ah.... perspective and choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, You are always so great at finding every silver lining!

    ReplyDelete