I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

New Beginnings

After much introspection yesterday, I decided I needed to kickstart my efforts again in a big way, so I called my husband and broke a date to attend his co-worker's retirement ceremony. Instead I decided I would go the gym. The truth was I hadn't been to the gym since Monday, and when I had woken up that morning, I had actually debated trying to get in a walk before heading to work. I knew I would not have time at the end of the day, because of our plans, but instead of jumping up and putting on my running shoes, I let myself get caught up in e-mails instead. If I didn't change my plans and hit the gym, I would be on a three day hiatus from my quest. More importantly I would have allowed myself to slide back into old habits of prioritizing everything else higher than my health.

Joel's phone call woke me to my reverie, and I knew that I needed to make a new beginning. So I set the reminder on my computer for my exercise breaks again; I started batting ideas around in my head for my next blog, and I planned out what I would do at the gym that day. I was consciously trying to shift my focus again.

The trip to the gym went pretty well. I alternated between walking and running for forty five minutes then headed to the weight section to work on my bi-ceps and triceps. I felt pretty good about my performance if I didn't count the minor contusion on my leg from tripping and stumbling into a weight bar. There was a slightly awkward moment as the nearest gym rat debated whether or not he should ignore the gaffe or see if I was OK, but I quickly grabbed the tri-cep pull down bar, and pretended that all was fine while I secretly winced inside. The truth was I've had multiple tripping moments in the gym since this started, and I'm pretty good now at owning my klutziness. It wasn't my best work-out or my worst either; but I left the gym feeling that I had hit another milestone. I had stepped away from the danger zone, and slowed my trip down the slippery slope that leads to defeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment