I'm a skinny girl, but not a healthy girl. My resting heart rate is in the 90s, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a kidney disease. This is my quest to get healthy, but I know I can't do it alone, so I am building a village of supporters through my blog.

Monday, August 15, 2011

A Pity Party

I felt the first rumblings of a summer cold the Friday before last. I laid low through Monday, but on Tuesday I felt well enough to get back to the gym. I hit the treadmill for a full hour, but decided not to push things by hitting the weights. I awoke Wednesday morning feeling as good as I felt all week. I was on the mend! A few hours later, however, I began to feel a tightness in my chest, and a cough followed soon after. By Friday I was on antibiotics for Bronchitis and a Sinus Infection, and I spent my whole weekend riding the couch.

It was the first time in a long time where I felt zero urge to get up and move. I didn't even feel guilty on Saturday when the most productive thing I did all day was take a shower. I knew my body needed rest. Sunday showed small signs of improvement. I made myself get dressed and went on two small outings, one to the store, and one to the movies. I was sure by Monday, my antibiotics would have stemmed the tide and would wake up sans cough with a renewed sense of energy, but Monday morning came, and I woke feeling almost as bad as I did before I started my medicine. As I readied myself for work, the pity party began. Why did my colds turn into Bronchitis? Why wasn't my healthy kick paying off? Shouldn't I at least be rebounding quicker after all the hard work I had put in? And then my husband reminded me that before I started my healthy kick, I would get struck down with bronchitis at least once a quarter. It had been six months since I kicked off my journey and this was the first time that I had needed to go on antibiotics.

So today instead of continuing the pity party, I decided to count my blessings. I might not be feeling great today, but the first seven months of 2011 were spent feeling far better than the previous year. My bronchitis would get better, I would get back to my routine and I could look forward to longer and longer periods of good health thanks to a little hard work and a village of friends who have pushed me along the way.







No comments:

Post a Comment